So you decided to start a business, and you need a logo. Sounds like an easy task, right? Actually not. There are a lot of things you need to follow to create a unique, memorable logo that will stand out from others in your niche. In this guide, we will go above and beyond the things you need to know to create an engaging logo. Read on.
Why is Logo Design important?
A logo is an integral part of any business. The reason is simple. It is not a random image, but a symbol that represents a company and helps to differentiate it from others. Furthermore, a professionally designed logo can send the right message to the audience, converting people into regular customers.
How Does a Catchy Logo Design Look
An eye-catching logo is always a work of art. So, when creating an incredible logo design, it is essential to consider some key signs of an outstanding logo. Here are some of them:
- Simple design
Simplicity is key to creating a memorable and catchy logo design. Logos of such well-known brands like Pepsi, Apple, Nike, Samsung are excellent examples.
- Limited number of colors
Logos with simple design rarely have more than two colors. So, it is better not to include all seven colors of a rainbow while creating your brand’s logo design.
- Deliver a message
Despite a simple design, good branding should convey a clear message to the audience. So, while choosing a logo for your company, think over the main concept you want your logo to represent and be sure it sends the right signal to your potential customers.
- Make it unique
When creating a logo, make sure that it has an eye-catching design that will quickly help differentiate your company from others. It means that your logo design shouldn’t be necessarily in colors. It can be powerful even in a black and white variant.
How to Find Inspiration for Logo Designs
Besides knowing how to create a logo that stands out from the crowd, you need to know where to search for inspiration. Do you lack the creativity to come up with a fresh logo design? Don’t worry! Here are some tips to help you out:
#1. Go through design websites
Inspiration is an inherent part of designing any logo. Go through design websites to stir your creativity. Also, if you want, you can look through photography websites to get inspired. All these will push you to create a wonderful and unique logo design.
#2. Check out the competition
You can also draw inspiration from other businesses in the same industry. Let’s say, you need to create a logo for a boulangerie. You can look around and seek for other places, especially those that sell the same products. It is not about copying. It is about finding ways to stand out from the competitors but still be similar enough for your customer to recognize what industry you’re in.
#3. Analyze your client’s business
Are you a designer working on logo design? Then you need to pay close attention to your client’s business. First of all, you need to take into account their corporate values and understand the main idea their business stands for. Also, it is important to understand the message they try to convey to their customers. By knowing your client from head to toe, it is much simpler to create a logo that will best represent their business.
#4. Get some rest
Rest. Rest. And Rest. Working late hours and overthinking only make your brain drained and unable to give a creative output. Both your mind and body need time to recharge to work productively and accomplish next triumphs.
How to Make a Great Creative Logo Design: 12 Powerful Tips
Here are 12 useful tips you need to consider to create an outstanding logo template for your business:
Tip #1. Understand why you need a logo
Your logo is the first thing people see, so it should be attractive enough to raise people’s interest and to lure more customers. You might be surprised, but a catchy logo can not only attract new customers but also move your business forward.
A logo is a powerful way to tell the world about your business. It is a thing that will help your brand stand out from the competition and to communicate what your company is all about Since your logo is an essential part of your business, it is apparent that you want it to be done well.
Tip #2. Highlight your brand identity
Your logo is a powerful way to communicate the personality of your brand. And to do that, you need to understand the principal values of your brand. Once you understand the main principles your brand stands for, it will be much easier to choose the right design for your brand logo. To highlight your brand identity, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the core idea of your business?
- What are the central values of your company?
- What makes you different from your competitors?
- How can you describe your brand in a few words?
- What message do you want to convey to your customers?
Tip #3. Start to brainstorm
Seeking inspiration is probably the hardest part of the logo design process. Here are some ideas to make it really easy:
- Stick to the brainstorm rules: Collect all thoughts and write them down. Even the weirdest idea jumping to your mind can lead to a genius solution.
- Think like a customer: Put yourself in your customer’s shoes and think over the symbols that could attract you.
- Get everyone involved: Themore people involved in the brainstorm, the more successful it could be. When creating a logo, don’t be afraid to think out of the box and combine different ideas together.
Tip #4. Use mood board
Mood broad is a good idea to visualize and get a wave of inspiration. You can create an actual board with printed images or a digital one. Collect all images that draw your attention, e.g., illustrations, graphics, or well-chosen color combination. Pull all the elements together and get ideas for your unique brand logo.
Tip #5. Check out the competition
Another way to get fresh ideas for your logo is to check out your competition. This will help you to figure out the following:
- what is already on the market
- what works best with your audience
- what things you need to avoid
Also, when analyzing your competition, you can think over the things that make you different from the competitors and how to emphasize these differences in your logo branding.
Tip #6. Pick a logo design
When you already get some inspiration, you can start implementing your ideas in your logo. But first, you need to choose the right design for your brand. Here are some style types for you to choose from:
Bright and modern logos can be trendy today, but they can look outdated very quickly. Classic style is neutral and can attract a broader audience than crazy colors, graphics, and fonts.
Today, vintage designs are very popular. Beige-colored logos remind people of their past and evoke a pleasant feeling of nostalgia.
A minimalistic style uses a lot of whitespace, simple lines, and minimal details. It is a good way to show your customers how modern and stylish your brand is.
Tip #7. Choose the right type of logo
It is crucial to choose the right design that highlights how unique your company is. Here are some types that can be used for your logo:
- Lettermarks, e.g., H&M, CNN, HP.
- Wordmark, e.g., Disney, eBay, Amazon.
- Pictorial mark, e.g.,Shell, Mercedes-Benz, and Apple.
- Abstract logo, e.g., Airbnb, Microsoft, Adidas.
- Mascots, e.g., Pillsbury, Kellogg’s, KFC.
- Combination logos, e.g., Hawaiian Airlines, Adidas, and Sprint.
- Emblem logo, e.g., Starbucks, Stella Artois, and Superman.
Tip #8. Choose the right colors
Every color has a different meaning. While color psychology is complicated, to make a long story short, remember that all colors have certain emotions and ideas attached to it. When choosing a color scheme for your logo design, make sure it represents your company values to the full extent. Here are some colors that can be applied to almost every logo:
- Black: if you are looking for a stylish and modern logo, black is an excellent option to choose. Monochrome colors keep your logo simple, but at the same time give it a luxurious look.
- White: if you want your logo to look minimalistic and clean, white color is definitely worth choosing. Even if it is used in combination with different colors, it will give an elegant and classic look.
- Gray: if you want to add your logo a mature, serious look, gray is your option. By combining different shadows of gray, you can add unique touches to your brand logo and make it easily noticeable among others.
- We have a whole other article specifically dedicated to logo design colors. Have a look at it here if you’re interested in what other colors mean!
Tip #9. Choose the right typography
A well-chosen font can give your logo a chic and timeless look. It can not just complete your logo, but also make it noticeable. Here are 4 font types you can use to give your logo an appealing look:
- Serif fonts have little feet at the end of the letter, which makes them look a bit old-fashioned. Serif fonts are a great fit for vintage designs.
- Sans-serif fonts do not have any feet, which makes them look simple and clear. They work very well with modern logos.
- Script fonts remind handwriting. Elegant calligraphic fonts can make your logo stylish and more individualistic.
- Display fonts are decorative fonts that can make any logo look catchy and stylish.
Tip #10. Combine all elements together
When you have an idea of what symbols you want to see in your logo, you need to combine all elements together to ensure they will match. Your task is to combine both color and shapes harmoniously to create that unique vibe you are looking for.
Tip #11. Ask for evaluation
If you still have doubts about your logo, you may ask someone to give you feedback. Before evaluating your logo design, ask yourself the following:
- Is it possible to immediately say what your business does?
- Is your logo memorable and catchy?
- Will your customer remember it?
- Does it comply with your brand’s voice and values?
- Is your logo timeless? Or will you need to redesign it in a few years?
- Does it stand out from your competitors?
- Does it appeal to the wants and needs of your target audience?
Tip #12. What not to do when you design a logo
There are some things you need to avoid while creating a logo for your business. Here are some of them:
- Don’t use the clichés of your industry. It is better to avoid generic images for your logo. For instance, if you have a bakery, it is not necessary the best idea to have a cake on your logo. Why? Because there are already so many bakeries with cakes in their branding!
- Don’t make your logo very complicated. Simple logos are more catchy and noticeable than sophisticated designs. Simplicity is key to a memorable logo. Moreover, simpler logos are more readable on small smartphone screens.
- Don’t make your logo too trendy. Time flies fast, and you will need to update your logo in several years if you choose to go with the current trends. Redesigning a logo carries some risks and isn’t the easiest task so make sure it won’t be necessary too soon. You can read all about the redesign and rebranding here.
- Don’t trust an amateur. Even if you have a friend who can create a logo in Photoshop and save your money, just forget this idea forever. A high-quality logo can’t be done by an amateur.
So, these are the things you need to consider when designing a logo for your company. We hope that all the tips and tricks mentioned in this article will help you to create an engaging and memorable logo for your business. Also, if you need a nice logo design, you can create it at DesignBro, leading design service for any type of design project.
Creative Logo Design Ideas for Your Business
Here is a list of logo design ideas for your inspiration:
Feeling inspired? Let’s work on your creative logo right now!
Besides having grown up in the design Industry, Christiaan has advised some of the world’s largest companies on their branding & packaging designs. Has been the resident judge for design awards, and has spoken at numerous global design & marketing events. Christiaan founded the London office of the award-winning Cartils agency, and has founded the DesignBro.com platform.